Friday, March 9, 2012

North African Inspired Tomato, Chickpea & Spinach Stew (Vegan)



Inspired by pantry staples, I made this super basic, but healthy, vegetarian stew a few weeks ago. My intention was to serve it over rice or with pita bread, but instead I ate two bowls plain by myself. Really enjoyed the flavors and textures together. Thought I'd pass it along if you've got a hungry family and a few cans to use up.

If you're not a big spinach fan, cut the spinach amount in half!!! My picture, above, does not show the bright green vibrancy of the spinach because this particular portion was reheated as leftovers :)

I'm sure this stew would benefit from with some cayenne pepper for heat and topped with some Greek yogurt (if you weren't vegan) or fresh lemon/lime juice (if you are a vegan). The stew was also good over a wild rice mix with a little grated cheese on top (Kashkaval is particulary delicious). Enjoy.


NORTH-AFRICAN INSPIRED TOMATO, CHICKPEA, & SPINACH STEW


Serves ~6


  • 2-3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium-large onion, thinly sliced in half moon shapes (1/2 circles)
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 (28 oz.) can tomatoes, pureed (I used Muir Glen's fire-roasted tomatoes)
  • 2 cans chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans), drained & rinsed--(can save a little liquid)
  • 1 tsp. coriander 
  • 3/4 tsp. turmeric
  • Salt & pepper to taste (I used ~1/2 tsp. of each)
  • 1 (10 oz.) package frozen chopped spinach (thawed or defrost, if you prefer) OR 2 cups fresh spinach

In a medium-sized pot with lid (I used a dutch oven), heat olive oil over medium heat and add onion. Add a couple tablespoons of water (or any of the liquid from the chickpeas). Saute until onion is translucent--about 10 minutes--making sure onion doesn't burn.

Add garlic and tomatoes. Stir until combined and cover. Lower heat to medium-low. Mix in chickpeas and spices, including salt & pepper, and continue to cook for about 10 more minutes or until the chickpeas are tender.

Add the spinach (mine was a frozen block that thawed in the hot stew). Gently mix it in and try to break it up if yours is frozen like a block as well (I used a fork to separate it). You can turn off the heat once most of the spinach has thawed--or when the spinach has wilted, if you are using fresh spinach.

1 comment:

  1. I can almost never follow a recipe, but this as a base for my pantry cooking was truly delightful! I failed to have onions for the dish unfortunately, but added a black cardamom pod - crushed, added kale with the spinach for extra iron, and crushed my coriander seed with mortar and pestle. OH! I used basil garlic marinara sauce with 7 compari tomatoes for the broth. It was delightful, and not too spicy for my picky teen-vegetarian. THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete