Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Amaretto Peach Blueberry Crisp



Ever since my email friend, Jenn, mentioned to me a few years ago that she loved Giada's Nectarine-Blueberry Crisp, I've been wanting to try it. Problem has always been that I never had that many nectarines on hand....we like a few here and there, but we're mainly a peach household. So, why not try peaches? The best thing about this crisp is the almond flavors--so intricately woven as part of the filling (amaretto), the crisp topping (amaretti cookies), and crunch (actual almonds).

The Amaretti cookies are SOOOO wonderful! I wish I could have made them, but alas, I found my way to the International grocery store for convenience. And I was so excited to discover that one of my International grocery stores carries natural sugar (packed as in bulk) for less than half of what it costs at Whole Foods (per pound)--so I use that whenever I can; because, honestly, how much sugar do we use? Not much! It's worth it.

Of course I modified this crisp to make it slightly healthier--below is my modified version. Here is Giada's. I recommend NOT using frozen blueberries--not sure why, but I could tell the difference in texture (I used some frozen & fresh).

I hope you enjoy it. If you make it with nectarines, let me know how it varies.

AMARETTO PEACH BLUEBERRY CRISP

Topping:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar or raw natural sugar (such as Turbinado)
1 cup crushed amaretti cookies, coarsely crushed
3/4 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup (1 stick) light butter, cut into small pieces (preferably at room temperature)

Filling:
2 Tbsp. sugar (any kind)
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 cup almonds, chopped
3 lbs. peaches or nectarines, pitted and sliced into thick wedges
8 oz. blueberries
3 Tbsp. Amaretto liqueur

To make the topping: Stir the flours and sugar in a medium bowl to blend. Add the cookies and almonds and mix well. Add the butter and rub in until moist clumps form. This is what the cookies look like:


To make the filling: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 13 by 9 by 2-inch glass baking dish. Stir the sugar and flour in a large bowl. Add the peaches/nectarines and blueberries, and toss to combine. Stir in the liqueur.

Spoon the fruit mixture into the prepared dish. Sprinkle the cookie topping over. Bake until the peaches/nectarines are tender and the topping is golden and crisp, about 45 minutes. Cool at least 10 minutes. Spoon the warm crisp into bowls.

Makes 8-10 servings.

Serve with vanilla ice cream (Giada recommends mascarapone cheese, but really?!).

No comments:

Post a Comment