Friday, October 29, 2010

Jen's Best Ever Chewy Gingersnaps


I inherited this amazingly chewy molasses gingersnap cookie recipe from my sister in law, Jen (big thanks). I think she won a contest in college for these cookies....yes, they're THAT good. I look forward to making them every time the weather turns cooler. Everyone loves them!

The only thing I do differently is to use 1/2 cup of sugar in the dough--I like things less sweet--plus, you roll them in sugar anyway. If you can, use organic can sugar-I can tell a difference-but regular sugar is fine too. I'm tempted to try them with half whole-wheat pastry flour the next time I make them...but I'm not sure if it's worth messing with perfection. Enjoy!


JEN'S GINGERSNAPS

3/4 cup - 1 cup sugar (I use 1/2 cup)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cloves
3/4 cup shortening or butter, slightly softened (we always use salted butter)
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg, slightly beaten
Bowl of sugar

Combine the dry ingredients (stir lightly). Cut in shortening/butter to resemble coarse crumbs. Stir in molasses and egg.

(Helpful hint: Place the dough in the refrigerator for a few minutes--it makes it less sticky, and easier to work with for the next step.)

Shape dough into 1-inch blass and roll them in sugar. Place on un-greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degress for about 10 minutes. (NOTE: Underbake slightly by a minute or two for chewy cookies).

Remove cookies from baking sheets immediately. Cookies will firm as they cool.

Yield: Approximately 3.5-4 dozen.

Check out the delicious chewy texture below:


No comments:

Post a Comment