Sunday, April 17, 2011

Minted Citrus Iced Tea



In preparation for the warm weather that is coming our way, I wanted to leave you all with a refreshing drink recipe. I first made a version of this a few years ago from a Better Homes & Gardens recipe. This week, while craving it, I could not locate that recipe, so I improvised and am happy with the result--preferring this honey version to the BH&G sugar version. If you're not a honey fan, try it with agave nectar. Or, you'll have to try it with a simple sugar syrup and find your own sweetness level (sorry). But try it with honey--haven't you read all the research that is coming out about local honey and the wonderful allergy relief?!

The craving for this minted citrus fruit tea started last weekend when we met my mother in law and our friends at one of my favorite lunch places in Nashville, Bread and Company. They make this amazing fruit tea that I used to stock up on whenever I have been in town for work over the last 8 years. I think my recipe comes really close to the B&C recipe. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it and prefer it to regular iced tea. If you like Arnold Palmers, you will love this. File it away for the hot days that are going to be upon us shortly....

I tried it with Tazo Zen Green Tea, but I like it equally well with orange pekoe black tea. Try making both versions and see which you prefer. It's going to go quick on hot day when you're taking a break from yard work....


MINTED CITRUS ICED TEA
  • 8 cups water
  • 8 black or green tea bags (orange pekoe is best, but flavored green teas are good too)
  • ~18 mint leaves or roughly about a 1/2 cup (washed)
  • 1 cup honey (local is preferred)
  • 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 1/2-2 cups orange juice (use a good quality brand or use freshly squeezed orange juice)
 Bring water to a boil. Add the tea bags and mint leaves; cover and let steep for 10 to 20 minutes. Remove tea bags and mint from the tea mixture.

Mix the warmed tea with honey in a 4-quart pitcher and stir well. Add the lemon and orange juices and stir.

Chill. Serve over ice. Garnish with mint leaves and/or lemon or orange slices, if desired.


Makes ~4 quarts. Should keep covered in the refrigerator for at least 1 week.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I think I will have to try this, like, tomorrow. I think my intense cravings for fruit and tea could certainly be satisfied by this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way-I just made strawberry tea! I played with the recipe quite a bit so it's not exact enough to post on my blog yet, but I hope to make it again and post it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, I woke up in the middle of the night craving this stuff. Haha. Hope you like it. Can't wait to see the strawberry tea recipe--we get ours from a shop in South Carolina and it's a family favorite, so I'd be curious to see a 'fresh' version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ANCA! I made this this morning and I'm in love! I can't drink enough of it. HEAVEN! Thanks so much for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Thrilled to hear it Lianro!

    ReplyDelete