Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Nordy Bars


Years ago, I used to work at a shi shi outdoor mall in Oak Brook, IL. It was very pretty. And during my lunch breaks, I would walk around window shopping at Mark Shale, Pottery Barn, or Restoration Hardware. Often, I'd stroll into Nordstrom--an even more luxurious department store than the one I worked at....Nordstrom was shiny and bright. There was classical music playing and all the salespeople were dressed beautifully with impeccable hair and manners. In order to enter this amazing store, you had to pass through their cafe. Oh, the smells this cafe offered! The air was filled with espresso, butter, and vanilla. Sigh. This place felt like what one often thinks a home should feel like (ha!). Until you glanced at the price tags of the Manolo Blahniks past the coffee shop. Then reality came crashing in and you settled in for a caramel macchiato and braced yourself to walk amongst the glittering beauty and temporarily feel part of a different world.

As the years have passed, I've been able to 'visit' several Nordstroms around the country and I must say that their wares do not tempt me as much as they used to....possibly because I am more practical, possibly because God answered my prayers. Their food....however.....is a different story. (Check out my favorite tomato basil soup recipe from their cafe here.) I have been yearning to try this decadent bar recipe Nordstrom used to sell in their cafe years ago (they no longer do). I am not sure of the Nordy bar's recipe's origin--most likely, it's a copycat and can be found on several sites on the internet. But I am featuring it here, because it is simply wonderful. These bars are ooey-gooey (albeit, a tiny bit too sweet--making them excellent with dark coffee)....and worth the extra miles you have to run to make up for their taste. They went fast in our house!

 
I suggest you make them when you have people to share them with.....you will not be able to resist the marshmellow, butterscotch, vanilla, and chocolate combination in this recipe....

NORDY BARS
Makes ~16

  • 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
  • 1 (11 oz) pkg. butterscotch chips
  • 1/2 cup  brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  •  1 1/2 cups flour
  •  2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 (12 oz) pkg. semisweet chocolate chips
  • 2 cups miniature marshmallows
In medium sauce pan melt butter, add butterscotch chips and brown sugar.  Stir until melted (this may look a little strange, but it will be ok).
Remove from heat, add eggs, flour, baking powder, and salt.  Add vanilla and set aside and cool (I stuck the batter in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes).
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
When the butterscotch batter has cooled (it doesn't have to be cold--just not warm!), stir in chocolate chips, marshmallows.  Spread in an ungreased  9 x 13 pan.  Bake for 25 minutes. 

Remove and cool – they will be soft and gooey when you take them out – they will set up as they cool.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! These look amazing. I will definitely have to give them a try. Thanks for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaaaaand, I know what I'll be doing to keep busy now that my maternity leave has started and there is still no baby. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, these are pretty awesome actually....hope you guys like them too. I favor salted butter in this recipe (but that's just my preference). Now on to finding more Nordstrom recipes....

    ReplyDelete