Sunday, January 8, 2012

Quinoa Burgers


If you're on Pinterest, you may have seen these quinoa burgers. I have had two friends make and love these burgers. They really are delicious! How in the world have I never thought to try something like this, even after making the black bean-millet burgers? I didn't use a lot of oil to fry them, but hope to figure out how to bake them next time.

If you're new to using quinoa, don't be scared--it's a really, healthy and delicious new food to add to your diet. Here is a great little article on the awesome benefits of quinoa. Did you know that quinoa is super high in protein? You can use quinoa in exchange for rice in many recipes (though it is more expensive). I'm still looking for ways to incorporate it--a few months ago, I made stuffed bell peppers with quinoa and black beans and corn. They were so delicious and I'm kicking myself for not writing down how I made them. I'll have to try them again to blog about because I was convinced that in some recipes, quinoa is even better than rice!

I've made these burgers (or patties, if you wish) twice now and both times, the first few burgers I put in the frying pan, fell apart. So, after the first time this happened, I added an extra egg to the rest of the composition and they held up fine. The second time, I added two egg whites (actually eggbeaters) to the composition and they stayed firm again. I don't know why they didn't hold up for me as they did for the creator of the recipe (Linda). Maybe it will work for you to leave the recipe as is--but if it doesn't, you'll be able to tell after the first few burgers go in the pan--well, when you flip them. I, however, am always going to be adding another egg or 2 egg whites when making these again. I love them too much to waste 3-4 burgers. Also, you can also add one handful of chopped fresh parsley to the composition if you like. I did it the first time, but didn't add the parsley the second time and they were still very good!

Another curious thing about the recipe--the creator (Linda) calls for sweetener. I found it sort of strange, but added it anyway (agave nectar instead of splenda). But, sometimes quinoa can have a slightly bitter aftertaste and this sweetness balances the flavor out. It's a well-rounded tasting burger. Yum, yum, yum! You can even serve them as patties with a salad or with some sauteed veggies.

We put them on a whole wheat bun with lettuce, tomato, gouda cheese, and mustard/mayo. Really love these burgers and they will be put into our regular dinner repertoire. 

QUINOA BURGERS


  • 2 rounded cups cooked quinoa (see cooking instructions below)
  • 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or other variety, if you prefer)
  • 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
  • 1 medium carrot, finely grated (OR 1 cup shredded zucchini, squeezed-though I haven't tried it yet)
  • 3 eggs + 2 egg whites (the egg whites were my addition)
  • 3 Tbsp. all purpose flour 
  • 2 green onions, including white parts
  • 1 /2 tsp. Splenda or sugar (I used agave nectar)
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/8  tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
  • Olive oil for frying

To cook quinoa:
  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt


In a medium saucepan bring the 2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil over high heat. Add quinoa and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 18-20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed and the seeds are tender. Allow to cool for a few minutes.

To Make Burgers:
In a large bowl combine the cooked quinoa, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, carrot, eggs (and egg whites if using), flour, green onions, Splenda (or sugar), pepper, cumin, salt, and garlic powder.

Heat a frying pan and a couple teaspoons olive oil over medium-low heat. Mixture will be slightly sticky, so using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, drop mixture into pan and lightly flatten to 1/2 inch thick.



Fry until golden-brown, about 4 minutes on each side.

Makes approximately 10 burgers.



2 comments:

  1. these look lovely! always looking for new vegetarian recipes! can't wait to try them! you inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog and enjoy trying out your amazing recipes. I just wanted to let you know that I nominated your blog for the Liebster Award. You can go to my blog to find out more. Thanks for your creative take on food!

    http://murrillspearlsofwisdom.blogspot.com/2012/01/liebster-award_10.html

    ReplyDelete