Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Blew-My-Mind-Delicious-Treat: Vegan (REALLY?) Banana Chocolate Chip Bread


Yup. Another vegan recipe. And it's amazing. My friends recently asked me what my obsession with trying vegan recipes was...I really don't know. Maybe it's because it seems like the 'hip' thing to do these days...? Or maybe it's because I'd like to believe that there are delicious vegan foods to discover. Or maybe because I'd like to know I'm not as completely dependent on cheese as I think I am (HA! A life without cheese? Say it isn't so!!!!). I haven't read 'The China Study' or 'Eat To Live'...no time and parenting/bible study material sort of take priority at this point in my life. Maybe I'll get to them later this year...however, I like the idea of 'cleaner' eating. Though we like to live with moderation, trying vegan recipes is my way of staying 'open-minded.' And when I stumble upon recipes like this, I don't miss the dairy or eggs.

I saw this banana bread recipe on www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com and was excited about a way to use up the spelt flour sitting in my fridge (yes, I keep my whole grain flours in the fridge). What a surprise it was to find such a low-fat treat. There is no additional fat in this bread (if you don't use oil) besides the chocolate chips! And yes, I added extra chocolate chips. Also, I realize that I have posted several banana bread recipes--all very good. But this is the only one that didn't require butter, refined sugar, or eggs. So, I will definitely be making it again!

I hope you will try this and that you enjoy it as much as I did.



POLKA-DOT BANANA BREAD (CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD)
(Makes 10-12 slices)
  • 2 cups spelt flour (or white, or Arrowhead Mills gluten free, etc.)
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/3 cup milk of choice (or oil)--(I used almond milk)
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup agave or maple syrup (I used maple syrup)
  • 1 and 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 stevia packet (or 1 Tbsp. more agave or other sweetener)--(I used agave nectar)
  • 2 cups tightly-packed, mashed banana (measured after mashing)-(I had a little less than 2 cups)
  • 1/3 to 2/3 cups chocolate chips (I used 1 cup and sprinkled more on top)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine dry ingredients, and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients and mix into dry. (Mix by hand, and don’t overmix.)

Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and cook for around 50 minutes. (Tip: If the top is cooked but the inside is still gooey, put tin foil over the top and continue to cook.)

After removing from the oven, let cool for ten minutes before slicing. After the first day, this bread is best stored in the fridge. Or cut it into slices and freeze for later. 





No comments:

Post a Comment