Saturday, May 8, 2010

Vegetarian Enchiladas (can also be Vegan)

Our house has a new staple!


Now THIS is what I consider vegetarian food. Not a plate full of vegetables as some people think vegetarians eat. This is a recipe that can be easily made vegan by substituting non-dairy "cheese" for regular cheese, as is called for below. I made them with vegan cheese inside, and a dairy Mexican blend on top. Delicious.

I LOVE this recipe. My husband (who is my recipe barometer) said, "Yum baby, these are really, really good!" And that's AFTER he knew there was tofu in them. I'm thinking that this phrase might make a good epitaph one day.

VEGETARIAN ENCHILADAS

1 pkg. tortillas (I used a 12-count multi-grain)
1 can black beans
1 bag frozen corn (if you use canned corn, be sure to drain it first)
6 green onions, diced
1 pkg. of tofu, crumbled
½ cup cilantro, chopped
¼ tsp. cumin
¼ tsp. oregano
1 small can sliced black olives
1 ½ bags of 3 cheese blend or Mexican blend cheese
1 bottle Santa Fe sauce or Enchilada sauce
Salsa, optional
Sour cream or tofutti sour cream (vegan), optional topping
Guacomole, optional
Mix all ingredients with ½ bottle of Santa Fe sauce or salsa.



Oil or spray bottom and sides of baking pan, and add a small amount of sauce to bottom of pan.

Heat tortillas and spoon in mixture-- then roll and place in baking pan.


Cover with remaining sauce and cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until heated through.


These are the first ever enchiladas I've had that weren't greasy. However, they will need a some toppings and therefore the sour cream and salsa are really good on them.
This recipe made three 8X8 pans for me...4 enchiladas in two of the pans and 3 enchiladas in the last pan (only because the company didn't count well & there were obviously 11 tortillas in the package instead of 10). These enchiladas freeze well.
If you use a larger pan to include them all, you will be able to feed about about 6-7 people if you include a side of Mexican rice and a salad.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry that was me that posted my comment twice, then tried to delete one, ha! Anyway, I froze half of it and we'll eat it for a later, busy week night meal! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete