Thursday, July 15, 2010

Drunken Peaches




Classy name, huh? I'm going to preface my entry by saying this is definitely a "champagne" recipe due to the third ingredient.

While going through my cupboards the other day, I found a small bottle of this sweet dessert French wine called Monbazillac. I got talked into buying it a few years ago as a substitute for Sauternes due to the difficulty of locating the latter. So, while researching, I found an interesting NYT article comparing the two here. All of a sudden, I felt very exotic and sophisticated--like I had discovered something no one else had (ha! As you can see, it doesn't take much)--even though Monbazillac is the poor man's Sauternes. Eyeing the over-ripe peaches on the counter, I decided to improvise on Ina Garten's "Peaches in Sauternes." (And yes, you can boil the alcohol out)

Below is half the original recipe portion. Ina likes hers WAY stronger (but it's summer!) and without the pomp and circumstance of a creamy side, but what I can tell you is that she is missing out--when you mix these peaches with Edy's Light Vanilla Bean ice-cream....well, there's just nothing like it!

This is an instant (special occasion) classic in our house now--eliciting, "WOW!"

DRUNKEN PEACHES
3-4 very ripe peaches
1 Tbsp. sugar (or simple syrup)
1/3 (375 ml.) bottle Sauternes (or Monbazillac)
1 tsp. orange-flavored liqueur (she recommends Grand Marnier, Stirrings Triple Sec is just as good)

This is what Ina says: Bring a pot of water to a boil and immerse the peaches in the water for 1 to 2 minutes, until the skins come off easily. Remove them with a slotted spoon and place them in a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking. Peel the peaches and then slice them in wedges off the pit and into a bowl.
I say: Peel the peaches.

Gently stir in the rest of the ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.

Ina says: Serve cool but not cold.

I say: Serve them any which way, but especially with vanilla bean ice-cream.

Makes 2-3 servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment