Monday, July 19, 2010

Fruit Tapioca-A Grown Up's Jello


Here's another relatively quick summer dessert without using your oven!

I learned to make this in college when I took a healthy cooking class at one of the local churches with my friend, Christina. We both loved this! I did, however, forget that this recipe made so much! If you are not entertaining a huge crowd, I suggest you halve the recipe. Either way, you can keep it refrigerated only a couple days.

The great thing about this fruit tapioca is that you can make it taste however you want depending on the fruit and juices you use. The amount of honey or agave nectar you use can vary depending on how sweet/tart your other juice(s) are. I recommend you add a bit less sweetener (I felt mine was a bit on the sweeter side), taste after it simmers for a while, and then add more if you think necessary. But below is what the original recipe calls for....


FRUIT TAPIOCA

Combine in saucepan:

5 cups orange-pineapple juice or orange juice or combination of both (I used cherry juice & mango juice)
½ cup tapioca
½ cup honey (I used 1/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup agave nectar)
Dash of salt

Let mixture sit in saucepan for 5 minutes. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until mixture boils. This is what it will look like:




Cool slightly and then stir in gently:

2 cups fruit such as sliced strawberries, diced peaches, orange sections, blueberries, or sliced nectarines, or whatever other fruit you wish to use. Personally, I love peaches, strawberries, and pineapple. Also, I like to use a little more fruit--so I think mine came closer to 3 cups of fruit.

Tapioca can be served warm or cold with or without a spoonful of whipped topping. The texture is wonderful!!!


Serves 8-10.


No comments:

Post a Comment