Thursday, December 30, 2010

Pop On Over for Popovers


But you should probably call first...to make sure we're presentable. Not necessarily a given at this home.

Since my husband got home from work sometime during the wee hours of the morning, I felt like he should be rewarded in some small way, but was also itching to dust off the popover pans (an impulsive buy from my I-have-a-real-job days). If any of you want an idea for a special breakfast during a holiday weekend, try these light, hollow rolls made from an egg batter. 

With the exception of the baking time, these popovers are relatively easy and require very few ingredients. I believe you can use a muffin pan to make them, but I cannot speak about those results since I have never tried it. The best part: the batter can be made up to 4 days ahead and stored covered in the fridge until ready to use (just remix prior to using).

They are called 'popovers' because of how the batter 'pops' over the the baking tins while they are baking--and are apparently of American origin, but related to the English's Yorkshire pudding. Popovers have a crisp outside and a soft, chewy inside. These below can be made savory or sweet. We like to serve them with butter and jam, but you can dust them with powdered sugar too.

Here is my first tried and true recipe attempt I found on Amazon years ago with standard white flour. The article will tell you about pan substitutions, if you are interested. Below is my version (through my pseudo 'healthification' process--possibly called 'recipe perversion' by purists). They're still fantastic tasting--and best straight out of the oven.

You can double the recipe (to make twelve) and freeze the popovers that you don't eat.*


POPOVERS

Makes only 6 in a popover pan (recipe can be doubled)

1 cup whole milk (or 3/4 cup skim milk and 1/4 heavy cream)
2 extra large eggs or 2 large eggs + 1 egg white (or eggbeaters)
1.5 Tbsp. light butter, melted
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour

Place your ungreased popover pan(s) (or muffin pan) into oven. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Your pans will heat while you prepare the batter.

In a blender (don't ask me why I do it this way, I just do), puree the milk, eggs, salt, and melted butter. Add the flour(s) and blend JUST until ingredients are mixed.

Remove the hot pan(s) from oven. Lightly grease with butter-flavored cooking spray.

Fill each cup about halfway full with batter. Bake WITHOUT opening oven door for 18-20 minutes (until pale golden). Lower heat to 350 degrees and continue to bake until they are 'rich brown' in color--anywhere from 10-15 minutes (in my experience).

Serve warm.

*As noted in Amazon.com article, frozen popovers can be warmed in 325 degree oven until heated through, about 5-10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment