Sunday, January 2, 2011

Smashing Success Soft Whole Wheat Bread (Yes, It IS No-Knead!)


I'm sure someone out there is thinking, 'Are you serious? MORE bread?! This girl needs to learn about Atkins quick.' But alas, a few weeks ago, I was throwing away a flour bag and happened to notice this recipe printed on the back of the paper bag. At first, I wrongly assumed that 'instant' yeast was different than 'rapid-rise'. Nope. Folks, it's the same thing. Lesson learned.

This bread is not like my previous post from Jim Lahey/Sullivan Street Bakery. This bread has a soft crust and a moister, denser interior. In my limited experience, it was less crumbly than the previous no-knead whole wheat bread I made. Here is the post for the first one. I really liked both recipes and made a couple changes to the one below because I did not have powdered milk (and therefore used powdered buttermilk because it was all I had) and also used milk instead of water. You can use an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment (my favorite!!).

This is really a pretty easy bread to make and I'm so glad I tried it! I will definately make this one again. My little family loved it so I hope yours will too. I think it would make a terrific sandwich bread.

NO-KNEAD 100% WHOLE WHEAT BREAD
adapted from King Arthur
Makes 1 loaf

1 cup lukewarm water (I used skim milk)
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup melted butter or vegetable oil (I used LIGHT butter)
3 Tbsp. molasses or maple syrup (I used maple syrup)
2 tsp. instant yeast (rapid-rise)
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk (I used powdered buttermilk)
1 1/4 tsp. salt
3 cups whole wheat flour, white whole wheat preferred (I used regular King Arthur whole wheat)

Heavily grease an 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan. This loaf tends to stick, so be sure to grease the pan thoroughly with non-stick vegetable oil spray. (I used a butter-flavored non-stick spray)

Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Beat the mixture vigorously for about 3 minutes; an electric mixer set on high speed works well here. You should have a very sticky dough. It won't be pourable, but neither will it be kneadable. Scoop it into the prepared pan.

Cover the pan with lightly greased plastic wrap, and let it rise for 60 to 90 minutes (I didn't touch it for 90 minutes); it should just about rise to the rim of the pan, perhaps just barely cresting over the rim.

While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 350°F.

Uncover the bread, and bake it for about 40 to 45 minutes, tenting it with aluminum foil after 20 minutes. The bread is done when it's golden brown on top, and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers between 190°F and 195°F.

Remove it from the oven, and after 5 minutes turn it out onto a rack. Brush with melted butter, if desired; this will keep the crust soft. Cool the bread completely before cutting it.

Makes 1 loaf.

*Note: Do NOT double the recipe in the same mixer for best results.


1 comment:

  1. Looks smashing!I'm going to try this recipe out,thanks for sharing!:D

    ReplyDelete