Friday, November 19, 2010

Herbed Buttermilk Popcorn--WORTH the change from the microwave bags!

My husband and I belong to two camps...his camp believes in microwave popcorn. Mine believes in the old-fashioned popper popcorn. Growing up, my dad would make bowls of it that we would consume plain. Lately, I've found a middle ground: Herbed Buttermilk Popcorn. It's very delicious & the pre-made buttermilk spice mix would make a great hostess gift if given together with kernel corn.

I came across the recipe in the Bride & Groom, First & Forever cookbook, but have modified it to include Brewer's yeast (or nutrional yeast--bulk section, Whole Foods-tons of B vitamins)--my friend, Jessica Korzynowski, introduced me to this--what a find! Thanks Jessica! Below is the original version & and, what I consider, an easier way (if you have a popcorn maker). I skip the corn oil & butter and end up using canola flavored cooking spray (butter flavored) and I Can't Believe It's Nut Butter spray--this is my (alternatively) healthier approach and I think it coats the popcorn better--no, no measuring, but I still think it ends up being less decadent that with the oil & butter. But you can do whichever version you want!!!


HERBED BUTTERMILK POPCORN

**1 Tbsp. tablespoon powdered buttermilk
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. lemon pepper
1/2 tsp. dried dill weed
1/2 tsp. powdered chicken bouillon or kosher salt

*1 Tbsp. corn oil
*2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/3 cup popcorn kernels

Combine the buttermilk, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon pepper, dill weed, and chicken bouillon in a small bowl.

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the popcorn and cover with a lid (it's probably best to leave a small little crack in the lid to let a bit of hot air out and prevent condensation in the pot). Shake the pan frequently. Remove from the heat when the poppin subsides.

Pour the popcorn into a bowl. Wipe the pan clean with a paper towel. Melt the butter in the pan. Pour the butter over the popcorn, tossing to distribute evenly. Sprinkle with the flavoring mixture and toss to coat.

Makes 8 cups; serves 4-(yeah right!-that's what the book says, though)

*MY VERSION--aka, THE LAZY COOK'S WAY-yet, with 2 more ingredients

1 Tbsp. tablespoon powdered buttermilk
1 tsp. powdered Parmesan cheese (yes, I am finally allowing you to pull out the Kraft version)
1 tsp. nutrional yeast (NOT the baking yeast that comes in packets)
1 tsp.garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. lemon pepper
1/2 tsp. dried dill weed
1/2 tsp. powdered chicken bouillon or kosher salt

1/3 cup popcorn kernels
I Can't Believe it's Not Butter Spray
Butter-flavored cooking spray (canola oil based-read the benefits by clicking on it)

Mix the ingredients for the buttermilk seasoning spread.


Then, using an outdated popcorn maker (ha!)-someone told me they had a hard time tracking one down these days--maybe online or garage sales?--pop your kernels into popcorn.


When finished popping, evenly spray with the two sprays shown above (mix with your hands if necessary) and sprinkle with the herbed buttermilk seasoning mix. Use your hands to continue to cover the ingredients evenly across the popcorn.

For the record, I make several recipes of the buttermilk seasoning mix and keep in a jar for later uses. I don't like to measure it out each time.


When we make this popcorn, I end up doubling or tripling the recipe. I think you will really like it! I caught my 18 month old sneaking some while I tried to take a picture...



**(And for those wondering where to find buttermilk powder...ask your grocer--some stores carry it. Check the health food section. But Whole Foods definately carries it--I've seen a couple different brands--Saco is shown below).

No comments:

Post a Comment