Friday, November 5, 2010

No Knead Heart-Healthy Refrigerator Rolls


I have had this recipe for a long time and I'm not sure from where--it's pretty similar to the soft whole wheat bread recipe that I made recently (from Nancy/Kelly)--but I don't have them side by side to compare; however, I think these rolls end up having a bit of a fluffier texture due to the addiotion of the egg whites.

These are great rolls for sandwiches. They come out a bit flatter and perfect for turkey, cheese, and avocado sandwiches or pimiento cheese sandwiches. But, you can also devour them out of the oven. I sometimes bake and then freeze the rolls.

Things to know: 1) These rolls are super easy---again, due to no kneading! 2) You can keep the dough in the fridge for several days & pull the dough out to shape the rolls a few hours before you need them.

HEART-HEALTHY REFRIGERATOR ROLLS

Serving Size : 36 small rolls or approximately 7 big rolls for sandwiches or burgers

2 egg whites -- slightly beaten (I use eggbeaters)
1/2 cup oil, such as canola or safflower (I use olive oil)
1/4 cup sugar (I used Agave nectar-but you can also use honey)
1 package yeast -- not instant
1 tsp. salt
4 cups flour (I use 2 cups all purpose flour & 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour)
Approximately ¼ cup wheat germ

Sprinkle yeast into 1/4 cup warm water. Let stand 5-10 minutes to soften.

Using a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites slightly and add the oil and sugar; blend. Add yeast, salt and 1 cup warm water. Add wheat germ. Stir in flour gradually, using a wooden spoon to mix well.

Refrigerate dough at least overnight, but it may be left in refrigerator for several days. This is what it will look like:


Shape dough into 36 balls or into shape you prefer. Place on a lightly floured surface and let rise for 2 hours.

These are what mine looked like this last time--I will be honest and tell you that this time they didn't rise as much as my previous efforts & that is because I replaced some of my regular flour with brown rice flour, but it didn't affect the taste and it actually made it easier to eat as far as sandwiches were concerned. Yours will probably not be as flat as mine were if you do them with all purpose flour or with half all-purpose and half whole wheat flour.


Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake rolls for 10 minutes (longer if you have made larger rolls). Serve immediately.




Oh, and if you haven't tried this 'butter' yet--please do so. I don't think you can tell it's vegan. But, it's delicious. I served it to a die-hard meat eater one time (he was afraid to try it), but was so surprised at how good it was.


No comments:

Post a Comment