Friday, October 28, 2011

Blue Moon Inn Spread



I had never heard of the Blue Moon Inn in Montgomery, Alabama, but 'pinned' this recipe online. Apparently, this inn has since closed, but their recipes live on--they have a Junior League style cookbook. I've seen this dip/spread also called Famous Blue Moon Inn Pimento Cheese.

When we were in Knoxville a few weekends ago, my mother in law graciously let me play in the kitchen while she watched my daughter and I got to try some new recipes. Here are some pictures that remind me of how much I miss East TN....no matter how many things I have found to enjoy in West TN, there is quite nothing like the feel of God's country--and East TN is God's country (of course many would object and that's totally ok! haha). The fields, the farm stands with mums, the little churches, the farms, the mountains, the century old homes with wrap-around porches, the wild walnuts, the openness...











This dip was one of my trials in the kitchen and we really liked it. It was delicious with pita chips and I think it would be delicious to have as a grilled cheese filling too. We had it on sandwiches with soup one night after we got home. Really good basic dip/spread recipe.

BLUE MOON INN CHEESE SPREAD (OR DIP)
Adapted from Southern Living

Yield: 8 Servings
  • 1/2 cup pecans
  • 3/4 cup mayonnaise 
  • 1/2 cup pimiento-stuffed Spanish olives, chopped
  • 1/3 cup bottled chili sauce*
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 (10-oz.) block sharp Cheddar cheese, finely shredded

Garnish: 
  • Sliced pimiento-stuffed Spanish olives
  • Assorted vegetables and crackers

    Preheat oven to 350°. 
    Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted and fragrant. Cool 5 minutes; finely chop pecans. (I actually used chopped pecans and baked them a minute or two less)
    Stir together mayonnaise and next 3 ingredients until well blended. Stir in cheese and pecans. Garnish, if desired. 
    Serve with vegetables and crackers. (I think serving it with a sweet vegetable like red bell pepper strips would be super ideal!)
*We did not have chili sauce and used salsa instead--seemed wonderful with it too!


No comments:

Post a Comment