Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Orange Garlic Broccolini with Almonds


I wanted to share my new favorite vegetable--it's not exactly a NEW vegetable, just MY new favorite vegetable. I usually toss this with lemon juice, but on a whim, I tried orange juice and this vegetable was elevated from good to GREAT! I much prefer broccolini this to broccoli--more crunch, more mellowness.

 Broccolini is like broccoli's cousin. It's a cross between regular broccoli and Chinese kale. It's also been called 'baby broccoli' and all you need to know is that if it prepared right (basically, not overcooked), it is DELICIOUS. Unfortunately, it's slightly more expensive than broccoli for the same quantity. Most recipes call for broccolini to be blanched before sauteeing, but I don't know why. I skip that step and still seem to have success. If anyone knows why it is boiled or blanched first, please enlighten me.

When I told my mom about it (because any new creation gets blabbed to her or my aunt), she said, 'So it's like Chinese broccoli?'...well, not sure...but maybe if you added ginger? Try it and let me know. Or I might beat you to it...this was the first time my child actually request and ate anything related to broccoli in the last year so I will be making it again. And again. And again.



ORANGE GARLIC BROCCOLINI WITH ALMONDS


Serves ~4 as a side dish

  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 bunch broccolini, rinsed (stems trimmed)
  • 1 small orange, juiced
  • Salt & pepper, to taste
  • 1/4 cup (or slightly less) of sliced almonds

In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic, broccolini, and orange juice. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for a few minutes until the broccolini is bright green. When the broccolini becomes bright green, add the almonds and toss together with the vegetables. Continue to cook for a minute longer and turn off the heat. (We like ours a little crunchy so cook longer if you prefer softer vegetables.)

Serve warm. Goes great with rice or potatoes and chicken or fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment