Thursday, October 20, 2011

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus



Sorry this is another hummus post--but, I just love hummus. I have expressed it before, but seriously, I REALLY really love hummus. My mom and I made roasted red peppers last time she visited me and we froze them. While going through my freezer, I decided to make a roasted red pepper hummus because those pita chips looked awfully lonely. It turned out excellent.

Moments after this picture was taken, my child tried to inch closer to the hummus and in trying to help her, I pushed the container over the edge and precious dip spilled all over the kitchen floor. My toddler burst into tears. 'What's wrong? Did that scare you?', I asked. 'All my hummus is gone!', she wailed. Well, luckily for her, this made a double batch--I'm freezing some (Yes, the recipe below makes a double batch of any of my other hummus recipes--but you can halve it. We just eat a lot.). 

It's just on the slight side of spicy, but you can use less crushed red pepper.

ROASTED RED PEPPER HUMMUS

Serves a big crowd as an appetizer

  • 1/2 cup roasted red peppers
  • 2 (15 oz.) cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained (reserve 1/2 cup of liquid)
  • 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 4 Tbsp. tahini (sesame seed paste)
  • 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 medium garlic cloves
  • 1 tsp. dried parsley
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt (sea salt preferred)
  • 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp. ground cumin

Strain the beans, reserving portion of liquid.

Using a food processor or blender, combine all ingredients and mix until smooth, stirring to ensure even mixing consistency if necessary.

Spoon into covered container and refrigerate overnight before serving, if possible. Store in refrigerator. Hummus will keep for about 2 weeks. 

Hummus can be served alone or with pita chips and/or veggies.

(Having trouble with blogger so if part of my font seems 'off'--sorry! I've been working on it, but can't seem to find a solution yet.)

No comments:

Post a Comment