Sunday, April 18, 2010

Baked Oatmeal (Vegan & Non-Vegan)

I've always had a pretty negative attitude towards vegan eating...(it's just weird, right?), but then I tasted some really good vegan recipes & started thinking differently about vegan food (haven't really thought much about the reasons to eat vegan, but I plan to since I just purchased "Skinny Bitch in the Kitch").

Baked Oatmeal can be turned into a vegan recipe (as I've done below). You can make it with milk or soymilk. Also, my good friend, Betsy, taught me that a good egg replacer is 1 Tbsp. of flax meal mixed with 3 Tbsp. of water--let sit for a few minutes. It was awesome in this recipe!

This is a really good breakfast--healthy, relatively quick, and can be prepared the night before.
There are many variations to be tried with this recipe. You can try apple-pear, banana-walnut, cranberry-orange zest-ginger, any mixed berry, or strawberry-banana-nut as I've tried below.


BAKED OATMEAL

Serves ~ 5-6

1 1/2 cups to 1 3/4 cups of oats (did not use quick oats)
2 cups skim milk (or for vegan version: soymilk)
1 egg (or for vegan version: 1 Tbsp. flax seed+3 Tbsp. water--mix & let sit a few minutes)
2-3 Tbsp. agave nectar or maple syrup (depending on how sweet you like your oatmeal)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (4 oz)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped nuts
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. baking powder (I used aluminum-free baking powder)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 banana, thinly sliced
6-8 strawberries, diced

Spray an 8X8 inch pan with some non-stick cooking spray (canola oil spray)

Mix all ingredients in a bowl (with the exception of the strawberries) & pour into the baking dish. Sprinkle the strawberries over the top.


Dish can be prepared ahead ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator overnight before baking in the morning. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.


Serve with a light pouring of maple syrup. Especially good with sliced oranges and some breakfast meat.


1 comment:

  1. So glad to see this - I have a huge thing of strawberries that are about to go bad and some bananas that are turning brown. I know what we're having for breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete