Thursday, April 22, 2010

Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars


This recipe is in honor of "Earth Day".

You will find that we have a huge obsession with chocolate chips in this house (unfortunately). And yes, the semi-sweet or darker kind. A few years ago, I picked up Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver (author of the Poisonwood Bible). I tried to read it, but could not finish it. I just couldn't get past its agenda. However, I liked the concept & I took the recipes offered by the author.
(The concept is that this family lived for a year off all the food that they produced. Amazing!)


If I recall correctly, the author had a bumper crop of zucchini & she was looking for new ways to use it up. These cookie bars are adapted from the book. I used slightly less sugar & honey than called for below. And I kind of wish I hadn't used the cinnamon & nutmeg because I'm not sure the bars needed extra flavor--but if you like zucchini bread, then you'll really like these bars.


ZUCCHINI CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE BARS


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9X13 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Combine in a large bowl (or Kitchenaid bowl):
1 egg, beaten
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
In a separate bowl, gently mix:
1 cup white flour
1 cup wheat flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (optional)

Slowly mix the dry mixture into the wet mixture. Then gently add:

1 cup finely shredded zucchini
12 oz chocolate chips

Mix until incorporated. Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for approximately 30 minutes. I had to guess on the cooking time because the original recipe calls for these to be cookies but I felt like "bars". When the edges turn brown and a fork inserted in the middle comes out clean, the bars are done.

Let cool and cut into bars.


Makes approximately good sized 24 bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment