These delicious protein bars are courtesy of my mother in law, Carol. I think she was inspired by her local health club & I'm lucky because she shared the recipe with me. To be honest, most of my best recipes come from her (thanks Carol!).
These taste like a decadent treat & can keep you going for hours.
HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE OAT NUT BUTTER PROTEIN BARS
Non-stick cooking spray
1 cup powdered soy protein
1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour)
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup packed brown sugar (I use Turbinado)1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (up to 2 cups)
1-1/2 cups vanilla yogurt (3-6oz. containers—I used fat free & plain Greek yogurt)
1/2 cup almond or peanut butter (I used more—can use any nut butter)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Lightly spray a 9 by 13 inch baking pan and a cookie sheet with nonstick spray.
3. Mix together the protein powder, flour, oats, wheat germ, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
4. Crumble in the brown sugar, rubbing it with your fingers to break up any clumps.
5. Stir in the chocolate chips.
6. Measure the yogurt, almond butter (thin it by melting a few seconds in the microwave and stirring) and vanilla into a second bowl, stirring until well combined.
7. Add the wet mixture into the dry and mix patiently until thoroughly blended.
8. Transfer to the prepared baking pan, patting it into place with your hands.
9. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and cut into bars.
10. Place the bars on the prepared cookie sheet and bake for another 15 minutes, or until golden around the edges.
11. Remove the bars from the oven and cool.
12. Eat within a few hours, or store in heavy plastic bags in the freezer.
13. Reheat briefly in a toaster oven before serving.
Adapted from Bount Memorial Weight Management Ctr.