Thursday, September 23, 2010

FAST 'No Knead' Multi-Grain Bread


No, the bread doesn't make itself quite yet...but we're getting close. At first I thought I should put this non-rising loaf in my 'bloopers' reel, but after tasting it and hearing Cort's insistence....it's making the blog cut. You can choose for yourself--but be forewarned: this is a hearty, European-consistency bread that may look like a brick. I realize that my great mistake may have been in using 'active dry yeast' instead of 'instant' (even though per the recommendations online, I doubled the yeast amount due to difference. I probably should have 'proofed' it--but now we're getting over my head).

I served it alongside leftovers at dinner and noticed my husband hadn't eaten more than a few bites. When I asked him why, he said it was so good, that he was savoring it and saving until last. Then he went back for more. So, maybe for the amount of effort involved, I'll share it with you too....

The recipe below calls for rye flour--which I've seen in some grocery stores. I know King Arthur catalog sells it and so should Bob's Red Mill. However, I go to the bulk foods section of my natural foods store (Whole Foods).

The recipe is from Mark Bittman (quite possibly my favorite cook--author of my now standard wedding present "How to Cook Everything"). Thanks to my grad school roommate and friend, Ellie, for introducing me to him--what a find! He writes what, in my opinion, may be one of the most useful columns of the NYT.


FAST NO-KNEAD WHOLE WHEAT BREAD (MULTI-GRAIN)

2 cups whole wheat flour (I did 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup bread flour)
1/2 cup whole rye flour
1/2 cup coarse cornmeal
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten (my addition to create a 'lighter' dough--it's basically wheat protein)
1 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
(Olive) oil, as needed

Combine flours, cornmeal, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Add 1 1/2 cups water and stir until blended; dough will be 'shaggy'. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest about 4 hours at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees. This is what mine looked like after 4 hours (sorry about darkness).


Oil a standard loaf pan (8 or 9 inches by 4 inches; nonstick works well). Lightly oil your hands and shape dough into a rough rectangle. Put it in pan, pressing it out to the edges. Brush top with a little more oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest 1 hour more.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Bake bread about 45 minutes, or until loaf reaches an internal temperature of 210 degrees (I used a meat thermometer). Remove bread from pan and cool on a rack. (REALLY? Let it cool? No! Eat it hot with butter! Buck the trend. Who are these people who don't eat hot bread?!)

Yield: 1 loaf.

The bread is absolutely heavenly when toasted and buttered.



Good luck and happy bread making. I'm going to keep at my efforts and if anyone has any recipes/tips to share for the lazy cook, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment