Thursday, September 30, 2010

Horseradish Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes

A few years ago, my husband and I had a wonderful meal downtown Chicago at Wildfire. LOVE that restaurant. Cort ordered an amazing horseradish potato encrusted filet mignon. Neither of us have ever forgotten it. The flavor from these mashed potatoes reminds us of that meal and we've replaced my standard garlic mashed potatoes that I put through a potato masher--maybe we've just demoted the latter...

Anyway, these are fantastic! Just incredibly wonderful. The horseradish taste is not very strong (in fact, I add more than is called for and it's still not overpowering) and complements the tang of the sour cream. Usually, I make them with chives. But my chive crop has dwindled as fall is here, so green onions were a good substitute. In fact, I may use both chives AND green onions next time. I liked them equally. Let me know which you prefer.

The recipe is adapted from Bon Appetit.



SOUR CREAM-HORSERADISH MASHED POTATOES WITH CHIVES OR SCALLIONS

2 pounds Yukon Gold or russet potatoes (unpeeled)
*1/2 cup whole milk
2 Tbsp. butter (can use light butter)
1 cup light sour cream
1/3 cup chopped chives (or green onions-also called 'scallions')
1/4 cup prepared horseradish (in the refrigerated section close to pickles, cheeses, etc.)
Salt and pepper, to taste

Place potatoes in large saucepan; cover with cold water. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well; cool slightly. Peel and mash potatoes ; place in large saucepan. Over medium heat, dry out potatoes for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.

(Basically, you put the drained potatoes back in the pot and then stir them over heat for a minute or two. I didn't even mash the potatoes. After 'drying' them out, I poured the milk over them--as the step below states--and stirred with a spoonula until they more mainly mashed--but not pureed. We like a chunkier mashed potato once in a while.)


Heat milk in small saucepan (or in microwave) until warm. Stir butter, sour cream, chives/green onions, and horseradish into potatoes. Add warm milk and stir until completely absorbed. Season with salt and pepper.

Serve immediately. OR, you can pour them out into a casserole dish and reheat before serving. I like to microwave them a little bit prior to sticking them in the oven so as to quicken the warming process. If you plan on reheating them, you may want to make sure the consistency is not too dry and add a little more milk as you think is necessary. They can dry out a little bit once reheated. Feel free to garnish with more chives or green onions.

Serves 6, according to recipe. But I think it serves closer to 8 or more when you consider that the mashed potatoes are usually a side dish. We had the mashed potatoes with burgers.

*The original recipe says not to add the milk, but I do anyway because I noticed that the potatoes harden/dry out slightly without the milk after sitting out for a while or being reheated.


You don't have to wait until Thanksgiving to have mashed potatoes...they took less time than I imagined. You'll be glad you made them.

No comments:

Post a Comment