Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Napa Cabernet & Fresh Fig Preserves

My parents and I spent the day at the Botanic Gardens and I finally got to see the fig plant up close. Aren't figs beautiful?


Anyway, I felt inspired. Here's what I came up with trying to use up a Napa Cab (got on major sale!) and some fresh figs.



NAPA CABERNET & FRESH FIG PRESERVES

2.5 cups figs, quartered
3/4 cup Cabernet Sauvignon* (doesn't have to be a Napa one!)
1/2-3/4 cup water
1/2 cup granulated sugar (or a little more depending on how dry your wine is)
Juice of one lemon

In a heavy saucepan, add all your ingredients and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low. Allow the mixture to simmer for about 20 minutes or until the jam starts thickening up and coats the back of a spoon (check on mixture every couple minutes and stir to prevent sticking or burning).

Allow the preserves to cool. Refrigerate. (I like to stir them up a bit with a fork to mash the fruit--but you don't have to do that unless you don't like your fruit chunky--in that case--cut your fruit up smaller)

My favorite way to eat them is with cheese and crackers, fruit, and nuts. Or you can serve these tasty preserves over toast with butter, peanut butter, or cream cheese. Or serve them over ice-cream. They'll taste good no matter what!

*Next time, I think I may try them with a port.....

Makes one jar (about 12-13 ounces).


No comments:

Post a Comment