A wonderful thing happened to me. Because of Facebook, I got reacquainted with an old classmate--former pastry chef & friend extraordinaire, Julie. I have never forgotten my sweet friend and now we talk about motherhood and recipes instead of boys and Banana Republic. Anyway, long story short--she sent me this amazing recipe that she makes for her family--this should go in your 'what are we having for dinner?' file ASAP (Julie, please send me more-this recipe was UNBELIEVABLY GOOD!).
These black bean tacos with cabbage slaw & feta are relatively fast, cheap, and healthy. Plus, you won't miss the meat. Serve with Spanish rice if you want. Easily double or quadrulple the recipe for more people. Really, this is one of my most favorite meals--love, love, love it!
(By the way, I tried them with regular queso/Mexican cheese and feta and the feta won out in the taste department--it may sound strange, but it works beautifully!)
CRISPY BLACK BEAN TACOS WITH FETA & CABBAGE SLAW
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen & Une-Deux Senses
Yields: 6 tacos, 2 servings
For the black beans:
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained
- 1/2 a small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced (or chopped however)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp. olive oil (I skipped this & didn't miss it)
- 1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- *2 cups coleslaw mix
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise or sour cream (optional)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste (try a smoked salt for a real punch of flavor!)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 6 corn OR flour tortillas
- ~1/3-1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (reduced fat is fine!)
- Hot sauce, for serving (optional)
To make the cabbage slaw: Mix 2 tsp. of olive oil and lime juice in a medium bowl. Add the coleslaw, green onions, cilantro and toss to coat. If desired, you can also add the sour cream/mayonnaise for a creamier slaw. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
For tortillas: Heat 1 tsp. of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat (I used cooking spray--but keep your vent on). Add three tortillas in a single layer. Once golden brown, flip, then spoon 1/4 of the bean mixture onto each tortilla and cook for 1 minute or until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining tsp. of oil (or cooking spray) and tortillas.
To serve: Fill the tacos with feta and slaw. Serve with hot sauce, lime wedges and sour cream.
*To make your own cabbage slaw mix: combine equal parts of shredded green & purple cabbage--(adding shredded carrots or radishes is totally optional).