Saturday, March 19, 2011

Vegetable Ceviche


Sometimes eating vegetarian is just dreamy. Try this recipe and I think you you will agree. This dish is great for days when it's too hot outside to turn on your oven.

Last May, my husband and I vacationed in Cabo San Lucas. We had a great time and decided to celebrate our anniversary dinner a little early at a posh restaurant with NO menu. It was a 7 course meal and the chef was informed of any exclusions in our diet. So when the first course came out as sea bass ceviche, I was a deer in headlights--here was RAW fish. (By the way, here's the scoop on ceviche.) Even when I do eat meat, I don't want to see blood on the plate and I certainly didn't expect raw fish outside of a sushi roll. One would say, I am limited. But one would be wrong--because I ate that raw fish and it was fantastic! Needless to say, the rest of the meal was one of the most amazing culinary experiences we have ever had.

And now that spring is here again, I have been dreaming of that ceviche and wondering how to make a vegetarian option. The result below is very, very good. And incredibly healthy. I ate about half the recipe by myself. But, it would make a great starter option or even as a side dish to grilled fish.

Next time I make this, I will try it with bell pepper and serve it on a lettuce bed with pita chips. It's almost like salsa (is what you're thinking.....)


VEGETABLE CEVICHE

Makes approximately 4 cups (Can probably serve 4-6 as a small starter)
  • 1 can (14 oz) artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
  • 1/3 pound (about 6 ounces) of mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
  • 1 large tomato, slightly drained or 1 cup sliced grape tomatoes
  • 1/2 red onion, diced (or 1/3 cup scallions, chopped)
  • 1 large clove garlic, crushed
  • 1/4 cup lime or lemon juice (I juiced only half a lemon & it was enough)
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients EXCEPT for the avocado. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. When thoroughly chilled, stir in avocados. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.

Serve cold and with pita chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment