Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mocha Cupcakes with Truffle Cream Cheese Frosting


How wonderful--another excuse to bake came my way--I was asked to bring dessert for two events this week. Don't recall where I got this recipe, but I've adapted it from a bundt cake to cupcakes and it worked well (surprisingly). By the end of my time in the kitchen, I was absolutely covered in chocolate. And in desperate need of a gym.

The frosting recipe is from http://www.allrecipes.com/, but I've adapted it somewhat as well. You can use a buttercream or ganache topping for the cupcakes if you like; but I prefer the tanginess from the cream cheese mixed with the sophistication of dark chocolate.

This is a more 'adult' cupcake recipe; however, cupcakes seem to bring out the kid in all of us!

 Please enjoy!!!

MOCHA CUPCAKES WITH TRUFFLE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
  • 1 box devil's food cake mix (pudding recipe preferred but not necessary)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup water (I prefer to use milk)
  • 3/4 cup strong, black coffee
  • 1/4 cup bourbon
  • 1/2 cup Kahlua or coffee liqueur
  • 2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix all ingredients and beat for 4 minutes. Batter will be runny. Don't panic. Trust me, it will be fine.

Pour batter into liners inserted into a muffin pan. Bake for approximately 19-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean (a few crumbs sticking to toothpick is ok--just no liquid/stickiness).

Frost cupcakes and decorate however you would like. (I used candy flowers purchased at a baking supply store.)

YIELD: Makes about 2 dozen cupcakes (if you don't overfill them with batter like I did--huge mistake I always make!)

TRUFFLE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
 Makes approximately 5 cups of frosting--just right to frost 2 dozen cupcakes. 
  • 1 1/2 pkgs (12 oz) cream cheese (I use reduced fat cream cheese with no problems)
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (or half & half or whole milk)
  • 1 1/2 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
In double boiler melt chips and add heavy cream, mix until smooth. Turn off the heat. OR, alternatively, melt the chocolate chips with the cream in the microwave for 20-30 seconds at a time--stopping to mix in order to prevent burning. (Some people find this method trickier, but I prefer it since it uses a few less dishes--lazy cook that I am....)

In mixing bowl cream together sugar and cream cheese until smooth, slowly add chocolate mixture. Mixture will thicken up as the chocolate cools. (You can also place frosting in the refrigerator for a few minutes before frosting your cupcakes if the frosting is too soft).

You should have 24 cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment