I recently tried to make my own ranch dressing. It's better when you can control your own ingredients and punch up your favorite flavors. We love the results of this home-made experiment, Since my friend, Chelsea, asked for the recipe, I'm sharing it below.
Be aware that this dressing is more liquid-y, but we prefer that to more fat--in this case, a little fat goes a long way. Play around with it and see how you like it. This salad dressing is really, really good--less fattening-yet creamy, tangy, and full of flavor. PERFECT with BLT salads.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (light is best--but my favorite is the Grapeseed Vegenaise version)
- 1/4 cup reduced fat buttermilk
- Juice of 1 lemon (freshly squeezed)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed (mince very finely if you don't have a garlic crusher)
- 1 handful of fresh basil leaves (or 1 tsp. dried basil--but fresh is really better in this case)
- ~1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ~1/8 tsp. cracked black pepper
- ~1/4 tsp. salt (taste--and add more if necessary)
Place all ingredients into a blender or a small food processer. Blend until incorporated.
Keep dressing covered in the refrigerator for up to one week. Enjoy!!